Sunday, October 20, 2013

The Beginning of my Cosplay Journey


          My friends and I enjoy being on the computer and playing games together. However, we spend much of the time on anime, which is basically any Japanese animation. I used to watch a lot of anime when I was younger and would get very excited when Halloween drew near because I could dress up. As I got older, I no longer went trick-or-treating and dressing up but then I came across an activity called cosplay. Cosplay is a term for costume play. It’s an activity which allows you to dress up as a character from anime, television, manga, etc. I have been cosplaying for about half a year now and I can say that the experience has been life changing and amazing. The goal of my blog is to help others learn more about the world of cosplay and share my personal experiences.
The source of this picture is from http://my.englishclub.com/profiles/blogs/manga-and-anime-are-you-interested. The people in the picture are different main characters from different anime.
            Cosplay might look like a childish activity for some people but it is actually a way for cosplayers to escape from reality. People who cosplay and go to conventions get to dress up as the characters they admire or enjoy so they can be that character for the day and escape from who they really are. Sometimes people get so attached to their character they would talk and act like them. However, cosplaying for me is a way to release stress and a way to express myself to others by not showing my true self. 
Another reason I cosplay is that I can take many unique pictures with others so I would have something special to treasure and remember. Cosplaying is an amazing activity and experience that many people enjoy. Preparing a cosplay requires much research, crafting, acting, and it brings happiness.
This picture was taken during my Sophmore yea, I dressed up as a mouse.
My first cosplay was wearing a costume when I was 7 or 8 years old. I still remembered the feelings I had at the time. I was wearing a fairy dress and a wig from Walgreens. I picked that outfit because I wanted to be a fairy.  After that year, I started to prepare my costume because Halloween was getting near. I had dressed up as a cat and Mickey Mouse. During high school senior year, I had my first time to attempt cosplay. I tried to make an outfit of Luffy, an anime character from One Piece for myself starting from scratch. The costume was not a success because it was my first time crafting something myself. I had to buy a shirt from Good Will just to cut it up and after I had finally finished the outfit, it was Halloween already. I wore my outfit during class and it was a hit. Most of the people recognized the cosplay which made me feel very happy especially when they shouted the name Luffy as I walked by. After that year, I started to make more outfits.  
I hope my blog has helped you understand more and perhaps get you into the world of cosplay.

No comments:

Post a Comment