Friday, November 15, 2013

It Builds On



I would like to start with introducing some professional cosplayer so you can see their amazing craftsmanship. I look up to these cosplayers from time to time.  Most of time they handcraft the whole outfit completely custom and it looks amazing. At times, it seems like the costume came from right out the anime.

Picture took from flipgeeks.
Alodia posing for photoshoot.
First person I am going to introduce is AlodiaGosiengfiao aka cosplay queen, she is a cosplayer in Philippines. Her hobbies are art, cosplay, fashion, video games, photography, collecting toys and figures, gadgets, and playing the piano. Alodia is known as the cosplay queen because of her amazing cosplays. Alodia did not start as a cosplay queen but she worked her way up there. Alodia became involved in cosplay because of anime and video games, and later she was encouraged by her friends to start cosplaying at the age of 15 in 2003. She has joined many competitions, and her first cosplayed character was Priestess from a game. She started to get attention when she won 3rd place in a C3 Convention as Gun Mage Rikku. Later, she and her sister were featured in magazines, after that she continued her cosplay journey and made her way of being the cosplay queen.

I admire her because she brings the characters to life. You can check out the cosplays she has done and every single cosplay she’s does has amazing detail. However, what shocked me the most was that she created all these beautiful costumes even though she has a busy schedule.

Sometimes you can tell who puts effort and time into their cosplay just by looking at the outfit itself.

Worbla. You can use heat to shape any thing you want with it.
Picture took from Worbla's Finest Art post.
Cosplaying consumes many hours. When you start the project of creating your outfit, you don’t even realize how much time you have to spend on it. I remember I had to make a sword for my outfit and it took me around 2 weeks to finish it. When I was half way through it, I almost gave up on finishing the sword because how time it took. However, after I have completed my sword I was super satisfied with it. Below is a picture of the sword, I used cardboard, paper, hot glue, and paint. I used very cheap materials because I could not afford worbla, a thermoplastic modeling material that can be any shape you mold it to. Many cosplayers use worbla or spray foam to make weapons because it is stronger and cleaner.

Making the weapon prop is the most important part of a cosplay for me because it represent the character you are trying to cosplay. However, making the weapons is the hardest part of the process of creating the cosplay for me. Crafting the weapons requires close attention to the detail because every little detail counts. The shading and color paint for the weapon is important too because shading creates a realistic feel for the weapon. Maybe in the future blog I will show you some prop making process. 

                                                           Stay Tune!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5 comments:

  1. It's amazing how much cosplay has become so popular, and I can see why. Cosplayers can really bring the character alive and Alodia has really done that. She does not seem like she is cosplaying, but she seems like she is the actual character.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a couple of friends who are also into cosplay, and it's crazy how time consuming it is! It is definitely something I would give up on very easily, so I am amazed that you did not give up on that sword! Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cosplay seems like so much fun, but also a very time consuming hobby. It all seems worth it when you finish the costume though :D I've always wondered how people make their props for their costumes. I look forward to seeing a blog post about the prop making process in the future (if you decide to do one)! Great blog~

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I can Cosplay but I don't think I have the patience nor creativity for it. But it's so cool how people can pull it off and become awesome characters!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its amazing how much an ordinary person can bring a character alive like that. I personally really like anime and I think this is incredible.

    ReplyDelete