Friday, November 22, 2013

Starting Out Slowly


Picture took from humorsharing.
Creating a cosplay outfit is not easy, especially when you are just starting out. Most of the time, people buy their first few cosplay outfits because they don’t know how to start. Some times when people can’t afford to buy the full outfit, they use their creativity and imagination to create a low budget outfit!
These are some of the creative outfits people made!

These outfits are quite creative, but I will try my best explain the process to help make better ones!



Before you start planning you’re next cosplay remember to always do a little RESEARCH on the character!

 Most people tend to skip this step because they think they already know it all.  It is a huge mistake. Doing research not only help you see the details of the outfit but also help you realize the background information of the character and their usual pose. These little details help you a lot during preparation because you will know what to buy and during convention you will be able to easily explain who you are when people ask you. 

Here is a picture of my Luffy cosplay that I did
 not make a pattern for. It was sloppy. 
After you research, it is time for you to prepare the material for your outfit. Having a picture of the character printed or in your phone helps a lot during preparation. Before you go shopping for the cosplay, try looking through your closet and see if there is any old clothing that you don’t need and can be modified.  It will surprise you to see how many items you can use!

Now it’s time to decide whether there are enough materials.  Also, ask yourself if you want to start from a piece of fabric or buy similar shirts to modify. Now, keep in mind that not all outfits are easy. I started cosplaying by modifying my old clothing most of the time or buy from thrift stores. (Yes! It is my new favorite place to go) Most of the time I will find what I need in the thrift stores or at Goodwill.

Here is a picture of the Luffy outfit made with a pattern.
See the difference?
Having all the materials gathered up, now it is time for patterning and sewing or modifying the old clothes. Getting a few angles of the character’s clothes that you are trying to create helps a lot because there are times you might not notice the details of the clothes from just one picture. The patterns are a must for me! When I create the Luffy shirt from OnePiece, I did not even measure my own size and I just started cutting the shirt I brought from Goodwill. It was a horrible idea. The shirt ended up unfit and sloppy, I thought the measurement wouldn’t have been so off because the shirt didn’t seem that large. Boy was I wrong. Creating a pattern not only helps save fabrics but it also saves time because all you need to do is just put the pattern on and start sewing. On Cosplay tutorial  there is a big more detail of explanation on how prepare. 


Creating armor and weapons is another interesting and difficult process that I will explain in the future posts!


No comments:

Post a Comment